Things You Can Learn From a Seven Year Old...

First Day...not quite a smile

Yesterday afternoon was our conference with Emma's teacher and I could not possibly be more proud!  I had no doubt in my mind what I would hear from her teacher when I sat across the table from her.  She is doing wonderful and on and on...music to my ears.

This school year brought many new changes upon us.  First and foremost, moving to a new city, in a different state, far from anything we have ever known.  To me, this was a HUGE change to face.  This move also meant a new school for Emma.  I will admit 100% that I was terrified at the thought and even more worried about her having to begin a new school where there was not one familiar face awaiting as she set foot inside on that very first day.  To make me even more apprehensive, was the fact that she had to start this new school the following day after we moved to Cincinnati.  One more thing to add...her first day in school was actually the third week for the rest of the students.  This made my heart sink so deep that I wasn't sure I could pick it back up again. 

I walked her to the bus stop on that first day and she began to tear up before climbing aboard the bus.  Yes, I fought my own tears until the bus pulled away and I began to walk down that sidewalk with tears flowing down my face like a waterfall.  I knew deep inside, that Emma was actually more comfortable with what was to lie ahead of her that day, than I was myself.  I knew that I did all I could by reassuring her that everything would be fine and that I would be waiting with a smile and a great big hug as she returned home that afternoon. 

Indeed, the afternoon seemed like it would never come.  As I waited for Emma to come bounding off of that bus to tell me about her day, I knew, after taking one glimpse of her beautiful smiling face, that she was fine. 

I wanted to share this story because I could most definitely learn something from my seven year old daughter.  She is always the optimist.  In a world full of negativity, she can almost always point out the positive aspects of anything.  One of my greatest hopes is that as she gets older, she doesn't get sucked into pessimistic thinking.  I know that I will not be able to protect her from everything in her life, I just hope to instill her with the best values and fill her up with all of the love, support and encouragement that I know how.  There have been many times, in fact, almost daily it seems, that she has boosted me up and reassured me that everything will be okay. 

As I bring this to an end, I am trying to learn how to live my life more simply and positively by watching and learning from my seven year old.  Don't sweat the small stuff and focus on today.  Life is too short to worry about things like...let's just say...ugly tissues.  I encourage you to learn from either your own children or others how to live more positively as we faced with the daily challenges that life thows at us.

Enjoy your day!

Comments

melanieanderson4kids@yahoo.com said…
That's so true. It's amazing the lessons we can learn from our children.
Jen said…
I honestly think that she teaches me something new every single day. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday - Snow Days

It Happened To Me Again!

Munchie Mix for Monday