Some Random Things

Good Afternoon! 
I hope that you all enjoyed a wonderful weekend.  I had a very nice weekend.  Friday night, we met my sister, brother-in-law and nephew for dinner at one of our favorite Mexican food establishments.  It was a perfect way to enter into the weekend. After recently hearing how calorie laden Mexican food is, not to mention a single frozen margarita, I have decided that I must limit my all time favorite, to once a week. Sniff, sniff. But, it is so yummy!  It is not a wonder that my daughter is a Mexican food lover too, as I ate it regularly when I was pregnant with her.  I have a crazy weakness for chips and salsa! 


Keep the focus, Jen.  This post is not about Mexican food.


After dinner, our families each headed home and my sister picked me up for a trip to Meijer for some shopping for our upcoming Thanksgiving dinner.  She kept telling me that she had yet to go and did not, whatsoever, want to shop on Saturday.  I suggested that she go in the evening and I volunteered to join her.  I couldn't be happier that she waited and we went together.  Strange as it may sound, we had the greatest time together.  We laughed, laughed and laughed some more.  Who knew that a trip to the grocery store on a Friday night could be so much fun? We picked up the second turkey for our feast.  We both stood tired and laughing over the turkey freezer trying to figure out how much the turkey would cost after the coupon she had and how many total pounds of turkey she was preparing on Thanksgiving.  The final result...53 pounds of turkey!  She likes to have some leftovers and of course share some of the leftovers but, once our tired and silly minds figured all the numbers out, we laughed and laughed again....All the way to the produce to grab a few sweet potatoes.  We saw a couple filling their entire basket full of sweet potatoes!  More rolling laughter. Finally we headed to the checkout when my sister pointed to a t-shirt that looked like Buddy from the movie Elf. Again, we were bellowing from the depths of our stomachs. I had to buy it for my hubby. My stomach was hurting from laughing so much.  This is such a wonderful hurt.  Fun times and laughter with my sister fuel my soul.  


The rest of the weekend was spent doing just much of the normal stuff.  Cleaning, laundry, spending time at home with my family, trying to get myself organized for the week and upcoming holiday craziness. I did try a new crock pot recipe that was super easy and really great. Don't laugh but, it was taco soup.  In fact, it was good enough to share the recipe with you.  So, here you are...


Taco Soup
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can Campbell's tomato soup 
1 can whole kernel corn 
1 can ranch-style pinto beans
1 envelope Old El Paso taco seasoning
1 cup water
1 pound lean ground beef crumbles, cooked

Mix all ingredients in a slow cooker and simmer for 2 hours.
Optional: Serve with grated cheese, sour cream and corn chips.
Makes 8 servings.

I hope that anyone who was interested in the 30 Day Mom Challenge can finally get started   since I posted it in a format that can actually be read.  This blogging thing takes practice and I am constantly learning.  Some things work fantastic, some not so much.  I just keep trying my best and learning as I move forward.  

I had actually planned on blogging yesterday but, felt silly posting after I had already re- posted to fix my mistake.  It worked out just as well because we had a day filled with glorious sunshine!  I felt great and was very productive. I love days like that.  I was able to get my car washed, even though rain is forecasted today.  Dropped our giving tree gift off to school for a child less fortunate.  Ran a few other errands and cleaned my house some more, laundry finished and put away. I was even able to workout.  My body is pleased that I haven't forgotten about exercise. My muscles feel it today and it makes me want to do it again.  It's exciting for me to feel my energy coming back once again.  A day of accomplishment leaves me feeling great at the start of the week.  Blah, blah, blah.  I know, such mundane tasks that bring me such gratitude, right?  That is what makes us all unique.  

Tomorrow holds one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions, Pie Day. I wrote a post about this last year that you can find here. Pie day is always filled with fun, laughter and new memories to fill my soul.  It brings me such joy knowing that Emma finds as much happiness in this tradition as I do.  She has been counting down the days and simply can not wait for tomorrow to arrive.  I will be sure to take lots of pictures to chronicle new memories from an old tradition.  

Now that I have unintentionally given you a complete detailed rundown of my weekend. I am sorry if I brought you to complete boredom but, I wanted to share with you that it isn't always the big events in our lives that bring happiness and fulfillment.  It can often be the times that are just ordinary.  Like that saying goes, something like this...It is not about the moments in our lives but, what we make of those moments. I can't remember the exact quote. A perfect example of this was my trip to the grocery store with my sister.  We could have easily made it a miserable time but, we chose to enjoy each others company and make it fun. And was it ever.  I am giggling as I write this. I hope that you are looking forward to times spent with family and friends in the next few days.  If you have children that are in school, I hope that you enjoy the extra time spent with them sharing old traditions or creating new ones, or possibly even cuddling up on the couch to watch a movie or read a book together.  I hope that you have the opportunity to share your thankfulness with your friends and family as well.  We all have more blessings in our lives that we could possibly count to be thankful for. This holds true for today, tomorrow and every day that lies ahead of us.  

Have a fantastic day! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday - Snow Days

It Happened To Me Again!

Things You Can Learn From a Seven Year Old...