Thankful Thursday-Pie Day



Oh my goodness...I did it again...very sorry for the lapse in posts! 

Today, I am writing about something that I had hoped to post much sooner but, time slipped away from me again. Please forgive me!  There was a holiday and a trip back to Michigan in there too!  I believe that buys me at least a few days, right?

I am so incredibly thankful for a tradition that I share with all of the girls in my family each year on the day before Thanksgiving. When I refer to "girls", I really mean all of the females in the family....this includes my mom, sister, sister-in-law, my daughter and my nieces.  Actually, there was one cute little boy who joined in the traditon this year too...my nephew, Jimmy. When you are two years old, it is still okay to hang with the girls for this festivity. 

This special tradition is what we refer to as "Pie Day".  As Thanksgiving draws nearer each year, we begin to look forward to spending this day together.  On "Pie Day", we do what is quite obvious....make pies! We always gather at my sister, Suzy's, house for this occasion.  She has a fabulous kitchen that sports two ovens...a nice thing to have when baking so many pies. It is not just the whole pie making process that is so much fun but, making new memories that we hold dear to our hearts and the quality time together we share.  We laugh, catch up on each others lives, reminisce about funny things in the past and so on. 

When we make pies...we do it all from scratch!  Of course we don't grow our own apples or scrape out pumpkins for the pumpkin pies but, the crust is not the kind from the grocery store.  It is made with flour just the way it should be done.  In fact, we like the crust so much that as one of the traditions each year on this day, we make extra crust to roll out, slice and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  This is like a wonderful little treat after making all of the pies.  The family, seriously, fights for this delicious, fattening indulgence.  I kid you not...the guys in the family practically beg for any that may be left.  This is the very first year that I did not indulge myself on these to the point that I felt sick!  I am very happy about that even though it felt like I broke tradition somewhat.  Sorry ladies...maybe next year!   


The sinful treat


The Pies

I feel very fortunate to have such close family ties that we are able to continue this tradition with the passing years.  Now that I have moved away from family, the tradition will be even more special because I am unable to spend as much time as I am used to with them throughout the year because of the distance that spans between us all.  The time we spend together is something that I cherish greatly.

This one is for each one of you, "girls",...

I look forward to many, many more "Pie Days" to come. I will never forget all of the laughs and moments that we share together. I love you girls so very much and the memories we share are tucked deep in my heart. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday - Snow Days

It Happened To Me Again!

Munchie Mix for Monday