Thankful Thursday-My Fireplace



Here it is Thankful Thursday once again.  I can't believe how quickly December seems to be passing by.  I don't know about any of you but, I am not even close to being ready for Christmas yet!  I have not even started shopping yet!  I love this time of year and everything that comes along with it.  I will save that for another post.  I must stay focused...

It seems so totally corny but, this week, I am so incredibly thankful for my fireplace of all things!  The weather has been very chilly here in the "deep" Ohio south.  I swear my blood has thinned since I moved here!  I am used to very cold winters but, I do not, whatsoever, like to be cold.  I am one of those people that are cold much of the time.  Cold hands and feet seem to be the norm for me until April rolls around. My mom tells me, "Cold hands, warm heart."  Of course, I try my best to fulfill this standard! 

Our previous home didn't have a fireplace and I always said that I wanted a fireplace in the next house.  Luck has it, we found a house with a real log burning fireplace!  We have had a gas log fireplace before but, the kind I like the best, just like I grew up with, are the ones that burn real wood.  There is just something comforting about the crackling, along with the warmth that it exudes into the room.  There is nothing I like more than to feel cozy.  Who doesn't love to feel cozy?  Especially on cold, winter days. 

I will fully admit to you that I am not very skilled at fire building.  I am no girl scout nor did I grow up in a camping family.  That being said...I must start my fires with a fire starter of sorts.  I am sure many of you may be thinking that it is sort of cheating to do it this way but, it works for me....usually.  I have those days that I am cold and just want to start a fire so that I can warm up... when I attempt to get a roaring fire burning and I am left with complete disappointment and frustration because it starts out burning just fine and I step out of the room, only to return to a completely dark and cold fireplace. This, is not so cozy and inviting.  Well, I suppose as with anything else, if it is rewarding and worthwhile, you must work at it.  The fires that I do get to be the picture perfect, warm and cozy, roaring sorts that I strive for, are so much more rewarding and enjoyed simply because of the failed attempts that I have in between.  Think of this...if we didn't experience failure in our lives, the successes would be mundane.  It is never a good feeling when we experience failure but, an incredible rush when we have personal success.  Today, I am happy to report that it was a day of success!  I am sitting here writing this post with a warm and blazing fire to give me that cozy feeling that I love so much.  What more could I ask for on a cold, December day?  For this success...I am so very thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursday - Snow Days

It Happened To Me Again!

Munchie Mix for Monday